What to do? Well, as mentioned, your circumstances permitting, take the money and run.
At the very least, review your portfolio. Your security holdings should be of quality, size and have revenue growth. Avoid areas where revenue growth is tepid or even declining.
Let's take a look at financial shares as the ultimate example.
Financials have led the markets so far this year, with the SPDR Financial ETF (XLF) gaining more than 20% this year. Investors have been focusing on the fact that financials had the highest earnings growth rate of the 10 Standard & Poor's sectors, increasing EPS by 62% in the past year. But revenue have only grown by 2.2% of the same period.Moreover, if you exclude Bank of America (BAC), the EPS growth rate for financials drops to +11.7%, and brings the overall EPS growth rate to the S&P 500 to a meager 1.5% from its current trailing growth rate of 6.5%. Investors need to focus on names that have strong balance sheets, pay a "healthy" dividend and have a fundamentally strong business that will continue to grow revenue. My list of companies that fit these criteria is below.
This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV