Here’s a tip about life: It’s OK to ease into it. In fact, we recommend a phased approach. And pay attention to the details. You’ll discover some hidden gems there.
This advice is particularly geared to the 95 million adult Americans without life insurance. And to the millions of American workers who have some life insurance coverage, but not enough, according to the nonprofit LIFE Foundation.
As the LIFE Foundation focuses the benefits industry on Life Insurance Awareness Month in September, Unum (NYSE: UNM) unmasks some secrets to getting the most out of life.
“Life insurance is one of the building blocks of a solid financial plan,” says Debbie Cecil, director of life products for Unum. “But it’s not a one-size-fits-all benefit, and there are a variety of options available to help individuals make the right decisions at the right time for their needs.”Life insurance is frequently offered in employee benefits packages provided by employers – but this coverage is usually a group policy that may not allow for continued protection if the employee’s job status should change. Access to an individual policy purchased in the workplace may offer employees the option for “guaranteed issue” at the initial enrollment. In some instances, the employee may be able to purchase more coverage later without having to answer additional health questions. To make the right financial protection choices, it is critical for employees to understand the different types of life insurance available. Here’s a breakdown:
- Term life insuranceFor young, single workers who don’t have many financial obligations and for young families who need a lot of income protection during their working years, term life coverage is usually adequate and affordable. The policy lasts for a defined period of time, called the term. A term life policy does not accumulate cash value. Rates typically go up as the policyholder ages, but are generally lower than whole or universal life policies.
- Interest-sensitive whole life insuranceInterest-sensitive whole life offers premiums that will never change, and the policy is active as long as premiums are paid. These policies accumulate cash value, and when layered with term life, can provide the protection needed throughout an individual’s life stages. Interest-sensitive whole life can offer a reduced, paid-up policy option that requires no additional premium at age 65 when the individual’s income and income protection needs decrease.
- Universal lifeUniversal life premiums are flexible and can be adjusted to fit an individual’s changing financial lifestyle. So premium contributions can be adjusted to balance against an employees’ financial status or needs, which typically reduce at retirement.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV