HERNDON, Va. and GREENSBORO, N.C., Sept. 6, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- K12 Inc., the nation's leading provider of proprietary curricula and online education programs for students in kindergarten through high school, and VISNET, an online learning and professional development consortium supported by independent school associations, today announced they have expanded access to a broader suite of online learning options to independent schools in Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Virginia.
VISNET, the Virtual Independent School Network, provides its member schools with access to top quality online resources, such as online courses, blended learning content, learning management systems, and academic support, as well as professional development opportunities. As part of its suite of online offerings, VISNET makes available to its schools K 12's award-winning online catalog, the most extensive in the K-12 industry, including full-time online programs, credit recovery, core K-12 courses, world languages, AP ®, and high school electives.
Last year, VISNET served more than 50 independent schools in North Carolina, with over 1,800 enrollments in online and blended course options. For the 2012-2013 school year, VISNET is expanding its services to meet the growing needs of independent schools in three additional states. In addition, VISNET has enhanced its online course offering in all four states with Middlebury Interactive Languages, a joint venture that combines Middlebury College's proven language pedagogy with K 12's expertise in online learning. Member schools benefit from a selection of robust online offerings that have been vetted by the VISNET staff of experienced independent school educators, as well as program development and other support."Technology has taken away the boundaries of time and space and given our schools the capacity to customize and personalize instruction like never before. It's time to rethink independent education and VISNET is here to help. Our resources, tools, and training can give schools, and more importantly, students a competitive advantage in today's world," said Linda S. Nelson, Executive Director of the North Carolina Association of Independent Schools. "We are very pleased to offer proven, thoroughly researched curricula from K 12 as a key part of our resource offering." "VISNET is providing independent schools a highly valuable service by making resources, tools and support for online learning programs easily accessible, in a cost-efficient way," said John Olsen, Executive Vice President of Operations for K 12. "VISNET's rigorous vetting process ensures that schools can tap into the highest quality online learning resources available to help them meet the needs of more of their students." Through VISNET, independent schools can access the following K 12 curricula:
- Available for kindergarten through eighth grade, the K 12® curriculum incorporates the best research and usability testing to most effectively present instruction online. Covering all core subjects, students are engaged through animation, game simulations, avatars, and more. Hands-on materials – ranging from K 12-produced textbooks to CDs and classic literature – are tightly integrated with online lessons. Plus, adaptive courses in math for grades K-5 and reading remediation for grades 3-5 intelligently adjust to individual skill and knowledge levels.
- For middle and high school students, Aventa Learning ® by K 12 is a comprehensive online curriculum of over 170 high-quality, standards-based online courses that cover all core subjects in three academic levels, plus world languages and electives. Courses feature a rich multimedia format that may include graphics, avatars, flash simulations, and videos to help keep students engaged and motivated to learn. The Aventa curriculum's unique avatars help establish connection between topics and "real world" applications.
- For third through twelfth grade, Middlebury Interactive Languages™ provides schools and districts with online courses in five world languages, available in multiple levels to help students achieve world language fluency. Middlebury courses are developed using proven academic methods to meet national ACTFL standards.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV