LAWRENCE, Mass., Sept. 6, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- NxStage® Medical, Inc. (Nasdaq: NXTM), a leading manufacturer of innovative dialysis products, today announced that it submitted public comments to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) regarding its Proposed Rule for the Changes to the End-Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) Prospective Payment System for 2013. NxStage's comments call for CMS to correct the current insufficient and inequitable payments for home hemodialysis (HHD) training—making this life-changing modality more accessible to Medicare patients suffering from ESRD.
The Company calls for these changes based upon:
- Recognition by experts of the limitations of conventional modalities in addressing specific health conditions;
- Clinical data supporting superior patient outcomes with more frequent HHD vs. conventional dialysis;
- Multiple third-party surveys showing that nephrologists and other healthcare professionals would choose HHD most often for themselves if faced with ESRD; and
- A Congressional mandate for CMS to develop policy that encourages more patients to be treated in the home setting.
"The current Medicare payment system doesn't provide adequate reimbursement for patients to be trained on HHD and represents an unintended injustice to those patients who wish to perform HHD," said Joe Turk, President, North America, NxStage Medical, Inc. "The status quo is inconsistent with the Congressional mandate to bring patients home and is a huge factor in Medicare ESRD patients' limited access to more frequent HHD. This issue can and should be addressed to allow patients better access to this life-changing therapy, that so often leads to longer, healthier lives for patients who require dialysis to live."A copy of the Company's submission can be found at http://www.regulations.gov/#!documentDetail;D=CMS-2012-0080-0053. About the NxStage System One The NxStage System One is the first and only truly portable hemodialysis system cleared for home use by the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA). Its simplicity and revolutionary size (just over a foot tall) are intended to allow convenient use in patients' homes and give patients the freedom to travel with their therapy. When combined with the NxStage Pureflow SL Dialysis Preparation System, patients are able to further simplify, using ordinary tap water to create dialysis fluid on demand. Unlike conventional hemodialysis systems, the System One requires no special infrastructure to operate. Under the guidance of their physician, patients can use the NxStage System One, with their trained partners, where, how and when it best meets their needs, at home or on vacation. http://www.nxstage.com/.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts