ALISO VIEJO, Calif., Sept. 6, 2012 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- QLogic (Nasdaq:QLGC) today announced new technology that seamlessly combines its market-leading storage area network (SAN) host bus adapter (HBA) technology with server-based, industry-standard solid-state drive (SSD) flash storage. The Mt. Rainier project brings server-based SSD caching performance to SAN storage, simplifying deployment and management while delivering scalable performance to I/O hungry applications running in single and clustered server environments.
Application performance has become a critical, competitive advantage for organizations and has a direct impact on customer satisfaction, service levels and overall business performance. Application-transparent and infrastructure- and storage subsystem-agnostic, Mt. Rainier delivers the application performance acceleration benefits of server-based SSDs without many of the limitations of current solutions. New breakthrough innovations include:
- Simplified deployment and management: Mt. Rainier does not require installation and management of separate drivers for I/O adapters, SSD cards and caching. The design uses only one QLogic® driver per OS which dramatically simplifies installation and management, particularly for servers running multiple virtual machines and clustered applications.
- Flexible hardware architecture: Mt. Rainier allows customers to connect different SSDs, including PCIe flash-based storage cards and industry-standard SAS SSDs.
- Adapter-based caching and SSD data management: Mt. Rainier cache processing and SSD data management are offloaded from the server to the Mt. Rainier adapter, resulting in an application-transparent and operating system-independent server-based SSD caching solution that provides scalable acceleration of critical server applications without consuming additional server resources.
- Shared caching: Many clustered enterprise applications and virtual server environments require shared storage resources. These applications typically cannot take advantage of server-based SSD solutions that utilize a direct-attached storage model because cached data is unavailable for sharing between multiple, physical servers. Mt. Rainier breaks the server captive cache model with a shared caching architecture that brings the benefits of server-based SSD performance acceleration to multi-server application configurations that benefit from the shared storage environments of SANs.
- High availability synchronous mirroring: Synchronous peer-to-peer mirroring across two Mt. Rainier adapters protects against data loss and ensures high availability for mission-critical applications.
"Increased server performance, higher virtual machine density, growth in application clusters and more demanding business application workloads have created a critical I/O performance imbalance between servers, networks and storage subsystems," said Simon Biddiscombe, president and chief executive officer, QLogic. "Mt. Rainier builds on our leading market position and unique expertise in high performance data center connectivity to bring a new category of scalable, performance-enhancing solutions that are easy to deploy and address some of the most performance-challenged environments in the data center."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV