In accordance with accounting guidance in moving Diberil to a fully consolidated basis, we remeasured the previously held 50% noncontrolling interest in Diberil to fair value and recognized a non-cash write-down of $7.7 million during the period.
Including its consolidated and equity basis results, Diberil contributed $2.3 million of income before income taxes for Q2 FY2013, compared to $0.8 million in the same period last year. Results at Diberil have improved over last year due to good performance on a river crossing project in the Amazon.
Excluding results from Diberil, for Q2 FY2013 Geoconstruction Division revenues increased $6.8 million due primarily to progress on a ground stabilization project in Washington D.C. Income before income taxes was down approximately $1.0 million from the prior year, as last year's earnings included a dam stabilization project that ended with much better performance than expected. Upfront start up costs on more recent projects this year also had an adverse impact on income before income taxes.
The backlog in the Geoconstruction Division was $71.5 million as of July 31, 2012, compared to $57.0 million as of April 30, 2012, and $50.5 million as of July 31, 2011.
|Mineral Exploration Division||Three Months||Six Months|
|Ended July 31,||Ended July 31,|
|Revenues||$ 70,424||$ 68,997||$ 140,991||$ 131,764|
|Income before income taxes||16,467||18,819||36,319||36,065|
|Equity in earnings of affiliates, included in above earnings||4,804||7,037||10,634||11,580|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV