American International Group, Inc. (NYSE: AIG) announced today that it has commenced a sale in Hong Kong of up to $2 billion worth of ordinary shares of AIA Group Limited (AIA) by means of a placing to certain institutional investors. AIG expects to use the net proceeds from the placing of AIA ordinary shares for general corporate purposes, which may include share repurchases or other capital management. Immediately following the sale, AIA Aurora LLC, a wholly-owned subsidiary of AIG, expects to transfer all of its remaining interest in AIA to its parent, AIG.
The ordinary shares have not been and will not be registered under the Securities Act of 1933, as amended (the Securities Act), or any other applicable law, and may not be offered or sold in the United States absent registration or an applicable exemption from the registration requirements of the Securities Act and any other applicable law.
Additionally, AIG's Board of Directors has authorized the repurchase of shares of AIG's Common Stock, par value $2.50 per share, in an aggregate amount of up to $5 billion. This authorization replaces all prior Common Stock repurchase authorizations and is limited to repurchases from the United States Department of the Treasury. There can be no assurance that the United States Department of the Treasury will effect such an offering of Common Stock, or the amount of Common Stock, if any, that AIG may repurchase in connection therewith.
This press release shall not constitute an offer to sell or the solicitation of an offer to buy the ordinary shares, nor shall there be any sale of the ordinary shares in any jurisdiction in which such offer, solicitation or sale would be unlawful. This press release is not for distribution or release in or into the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV