French Unemployment Rises Again To 10.2 Percent
PARIS (AP) The national statistics agency says unemployment in France rose again in the second quarter, reaching 10.2 percent.
Insee said Thursday that youth unemployment is also creeping up and was 23.5 percent for the quarter that ended June 30.
Earlier this week, the government said that the number of people out of work had passed 3 million, a symbolic threshold but one that has focused new attention on France's unemployment rate.
Hit by concerns about their overwhelming debt amid a slowing global economy, countries across Europe are struggling with high unemployment rates that have caused unrest in many parts of the continent.French unemployment has been climbing steadily since last year after dropping for a few quarters. It is now higher than at any time since 1999.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV