The purpose of having an ecosystem of after-market products is to nurture continuous innovation through collective action. No after-market player ever really threatens its host. What may seem like a parasitic relationshp is, in fact, fairly symbiotic.
Or so the history of technology states.
Skins, bags, chargers, wireless printers, protective covers and stands, which is what Best Buy (BBY) is currently offering, do not make for a healthy after-market. When nearly half of Amazon.com's (AMZN) list of "cool iPad accessories" comes from Apple, that's not a healthy sign.
Is it?At the time of publication, the author had a position in AAPL. This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV