NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The PC revolution of the 1980s and the Internet revolution of the 1990s moved more slowly than the present device revolution, but created lots of after-market opportunities. Hardware, software, peripherals, services and accessories all boomed.
The device revolution, by contrast, has mainly been good for one company -- Apple (AAPL)
That's by design, but I'm wondering if it is even good for Apple?
So far, most of the "after-market" plays in Apple have been around peripherals such as Skullcandy (SKUL) earbuds and covers from companies like Zagg (ZAGG). The software profits have mainly gone to existing players, including Adobe (ADBE), which adapts its products for the new platform, as 9to5Mac reports or to games outfits like Zynga (ZNGA), which were born on other platforms.Moves this summer by Apple indicate that's the way they like it.
When Nuance (NUAN) found traction in the voice dictation space, Apple placed its own version inside its Mountain Lion operating system, notes 9to5Mac.
Apple is changing the connectors on its new line of products, for which it will be the sole source, writes 9to5Mac.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV