Stewart Enterprises Reports $.11 Earnings Per Share From Continuing Operations For The Third Quarter Of 2012
NEW ORLEANS, Sept. 5, 2012 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Stewart Enterprises, Inc. (Nasdaq:STEI) reported today its results for the third quarter ended July 31, 2012, which reflect strong improvement in gross profit as a result of increased revenues and the Company's continuous focus on effectively controlling its costs.
The Company reported net earnings from continuing operations for the quarter ended July 31, 2012 of $9.9 million, or $.11 per diluted share, compared to net earnings from continuing operations of $12.2 million, or $.13 per diluted share, for the quarter ended July 31, 2011. Net earnings from continuing operations for the quarter ended July 31, 2011 included a $12.4 million ($7.3 million after tax, or $.08 per diluted share) recovery related to the settlement of the Hurricane Katrina litigation.
After adjusting earnings from continuing operations for the Hurricane Katrina recovery and certain other items, as discussed in the table "Reconciliation of Non-GAAP Financial Measures," the Company reported adjusted earnings from continuing operations of $9.6 million, or $.11 per diluted share for the quarter ended July 31, 2012, compared to adjusted earnings from continuing operations of $7.1 million, or $.08 per diluted share for the quarter ended July 31, 2011.Thomas M. Kitchen, President and Chief Executive Officer, stated, "For the quarter, we significantly improved adjusted net earnings by 35 percent and adjusted earnings per share by 38 percent. Some additional highlights of the third quarter compared to the same quarter of last year include:
- Achieving a 4 percent increase in revenue, a 24 percent increase in gross profit and a 340 basis point improvement in gross profit margin;
- Improving cemetery gross profit by 51 percent and cemetery gross profit margin by 520 basis points;
- Increasing funeral gross profit by 10 percent and improving funeral gross profit margin by 200 basis points;
- Generating operating cash flow of $30.3 million, or an increase of 22 percent, and free cash flow of $26.7 million, or an increase of 41 percent;
- Realizing a 19 percent improvement in adjusted EBITDA to $26.5 million, as discussed in the table "Reconciliation of Non-GAAP Financial Measures;" and
- Producing total returns of 1 percent in our preneed trusts and total returns of 2 percent in our perpetual care trusts. For the nine months ended July 31, 2012, we produced total returns of 9 percent in our preneed trusts and 11 percent in our perpetual care trusts."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV