May estimates that Morgan Stanley will earn 90 cents a share for 2012, followed by earnings of $1.90 a share in 2013.
Morgan Stanley currently holds 51% of the Morgan Stanley Smith Barney Joint Venture, with Citigroup (C) holding the remaining 49%. Morgan Stanley has the option to purchase the remaining stake in the joint venture over a three year period beginning this year, and in May announced plans to purchase an additional 14% stake, subject to a valuation that will be determined by Perella Weinberg Partners LP, with an extended deadline of Sept. 10.
The formation of the joint venture benefited Citigroup immensely during the second quarter of 2009, when the company sold its Smith Barney subsidiary to the joint venture and booked a gain of $11.1 billion, shoring up its capital, while the company was still suffering tremendous credit losses.
Analysts are expecting Citigroup and Morgan Stanley to compromise on the joint venture's valuation, leading to a third-quarter write-down for Citi, likely ranging between $3 billion and $4 billion.
Email. Follow @PhilipvanDoorn
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV