Prince George area investments since 2004 will total over C$60 million by year-end 2012
PRINCE GEORGE, BC, Sept. 5, 2012 /PRNewswire/ - CN (TSX: CNR) (NYSE: CNI) announced today a C$12-million expansion of its Locomotive Reliability Centre (LRC) in this northern British Columbia centre.
Keith Creel, CN executive vice-president and chief operating officer, said: "The Prince George LRC is strategically located midway between Edmonton, Alta., and Prince Rupert, B.C., which are roughly 1,000 miles apart.
"The facility serviced locomotives for more than 9,000 CN trains that transited the city last year. We are at maximum capacity at the LRC, with three shifts per day, seven days a week, and we need to expand it to handle existing and forecast growth of intermodal, coal and other traffic in northern B.C."CN will increase floor space at the Prince George locomotive shop by 50 per cent to nearly 50,000 square feet, permitting the addition of four repair bays with pits to handle the forecast increase in locomotive inspections and repairs. CN will also spend more than C$4 million this year to extend two key sidings north of Prince George on the line toward Chetwynd, B.C., to efficiently and safely accommodate 10,000-foot coal trains serving mines in northeastern region of the province. CN has invested heavily in the Prince George area to handle increased freight volumes. Including the LRC project and siding extensions this year, CN will have spent more than C$60 million since 2004 on capital projects in the city. Initiatives have included:
- The construction and expansion of a major transloading and intermodal terminal for the export forest products via the Port of Prince Rupert;
- Yard capacity expansion and upgrades;
- Mechanical installations to repair and service freight cars and,
- Environmental controls, including a fueling station upgrading and new storm water sewers.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV