WINNIPEG, Sept. 5, 2012 /PRNewswire/ - IMRIS Inc. (NASDAQ: IMRS); (TSX: IM) ("IMRIS" or the "Company") today is announcing that they have been allowed the U.S. patent for MR Guided Radiation Therapy involving the combination of radiation therapy and a moveable magnet system. In addition, the U.S. Food & Drug Administration recently cleared the first of several products in its MR Guided Radiation Therapy business.
The recently cleared MR imaging radiation oncology package is for pelvic, brain, and head and neck imaging. The package includes MRI coil sets and a specialized imaging tabletop intended for physicians conducting diagnostic MR imaging for radiation therapy treatment planning and simulation.
"We are on our way to building our image guided radiation therapy business and producing essential tools for enhancing MR image targeting in cancer treatments to support radiotherapy utilized by half of all U.S. cancer patients each year," said David Graves, Chairman and CEO, IMRIS. "This patent is significant. MR is the gold standard in soft tissue imaging accuracy. Ultimately, we are working to improve treatment targeting so patients in the future may have fewer radiation sessions and experience less damage to healthy tissue adjacent to the target."
The oncology package is the first regulatory submission IMRIS filed with the FDA for products related to image guided radiation therapy systems.About IMRIS IMRIS (NASDAQ: IMRS; TSX: IM) is a global leader in providing image guided therapy solutions through its VISIUS Surgical Theatre - a revolutionary, multifunctional surgical environment that provides unmatched intraoperative vision to clinicians to assist in decision making and enhance precision in treatment. VISIUS Surgical Theatres serve the neurosurgical, cardiovascular and cerebrovascular markets and have been selected by leading medical institutions around the world. SOURCE IMRIS Inc.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV