"We believe the iPhone 5 release could be the largest consumer product launch in history," stated Thomas Seitz, a telecoms analyst with Jefferies, in an August note to clients. While that is bolstering expectations that Apple may be the first U.S. company to reach $1 trillion in market cap, it also exposes the threat to the telecom giants.
"The earlier than expected launch of the iPhone 5 is likely to have a major impact on the
Investors may also be smart to follow investor flows as a sign of what's to come in telecom. In late August, telecom stock outflows were the greatest since 2008, according to a report from Bank of America Merrill Lynch equity strategist Savita Subramanian.
"After clients poured into Telecom during the first half of 2012 and the sector's relative P/E hit all-time highs, we have observed accelerating outflows from Telecom and the other defensive sectors in the second half and a rotation into cyclicals-- most notably Industrials and Tech," wrote Subramanian.The investor stampede may signal expectations of the dividend hit that Moffett has been crowing about amid a 2012 telecom sector rally. Subramanian highlights record post-crisis telecom sector outflows as indicative of a rotation from dividend-yielding defensive stocks to cyclical stocks. Investors fleeing "defensives" like telecoms for "cyclicals" may be a final irony: if Moffett is right about telecoms morphing from defensive into cyclical stock plays, it's the telecoms themselves that are becoming cyclical in nature. -- Written by Antoine Gara in New York
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV