Homebuilders haven't exactly won the favor of most investors over the last few years. Lennar (LEN) is no exception -- the $6.2 billion builder focuses on the entry level of the housing market, building value-focused homes across the country.
That positioning is a big part of why the firm's short interest ratio sits at 7.9; right now, it would take almost two weeks of frenzied buying for short sellers to cover their bets against this stock.>>6 Housing Stocks With Curbside Appeal While positioning along the low end of the housing spectrum meant that Lennar went through some post-bubble pain, the firm's positioning looks good now. It's a buyer's market, and potential homeowners are looking for value -- an offering that's right up Lennar's alley. The firm's balance sheet is rife with attractive property that's ready for development, as well as finished homes that it's moving at an increasingly quick rate right now. Like most of its peers, Lennar bit the bullet back in 2008 and 2009, getting rid of properties on its balance sheet at small profits or at losses just in order to build its cash reserves back up. Now, with around $1.4 billion in cash and investments offsetting a $4 billion building debt position, the firm is in solid enough financial shape to make it through any economic turbulence. That positioning makes the firm a good short squeeze candidate.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV