J.C. Penney (JCP) is a stock in transition right now. The 110-year-old department store chain got investors excited when it announced that it had poached Apple's (AAPL) retail head, Ron Johnson, but much of that excitement has dissipated since. Investors have notoriously little patience, and I guess the turnaround plan is taking longer than they're willing to take.
While JCP's short interest ratio is only 4.5, a staggering 41.5% of float is short right now.Believe it or not, Penney has been making some big changes. From the new advertising initiatives designed to pull in a trendier, younger demographic to a new merchandising strategy behind the scenes, JCP is working hard to break out of the weak market position that it's found itself in over the last few years. By positioning itself as a place to find fashionable bargains, JCP's approach looks a lot like that of Target (TGT), another of Ron Johnson's old haunts. It's a good strategy, but it's one that's dependent on merchandising to pull off. That's why Johnson's expertise in merchandising should come in very handy. While JCP's balance sheet isn't as pretty as the books are at the other two stocks we've looked at already, the firm's financials look a lot better than most of its peers. That wherewithal should give JCP the time it needs to complete its turnaround.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV