Athletic apparel firm Under Armour (UA) is another stock that's getting hefty attention from short sellers right now. UA currently boasts a short interest ratio of 10.9, a number that indicates it would take more than two full weeks of buying pressure for shorts to cover their bets at current volume levels. And with the stock up more than 63% so far in 2012, short sellers are probably getting pretty exhausted right now.
Under Armour has built itself into a recognizable high-end apparel name that's able to compete against the likes of Nike (NKE), the industry's standard-bearer. UA's approach is technology-driven, with its signature moisture-wicking performance fabric being one of the most imitated offerings among its peers. As the firm adds new products to its portfolio (its foray into footwear was a big move it made a few years ago), it should be able to expand its top line in existing markets, while at the same time pushing to altogether new markets for the firm.>>5 Consumer Stocks Hedge Funds Love Financially, UA is another stock that's in stellar shape. With more than $142 million in cash, and just half that in debt, UA's net cash position gives it plenty of dry powder to deal with any industry headwinds right now. And since cash is like kryptonite to short sellers, UA's growing coffers have the potential to trigger covering in this heavily-shorted stock.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV