Stocks Finish Mixed Amid ECB Speculation
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- U.S. stocks finished mixed Wednesday as traders mostly stood pat ahead of tomorrow's European Central Bank policy meeting.
It was a slow session filled with speculation about how ECB President Mario Draghi plans to address the old continent's debt problems and keep the single-currency eurozone intact. Bloomberg reported Draghi is set to propose a sterilized bond-buying program of unlimited size but the details of such a proposal and how it would actually be implemented remain to be seen.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average closed up more than 11 points, or 0.09%, at 13,047. The blue-chip index ranged less than 77 points on the day.
Winners outnumbered losers, 18 to 12, within the Dow. Walt Disney (DIS), Boeing (BA) and Alcoa (AA) were the standout gainers, while American Express (AXP), Cisco (CSCO), and Kraft Foods (KFT) were weak spots.The S&P 500 fell 1.5 points, or 0.11%, to settle at 1403.44, while the Nasdaq gave back nearly 6 points, or 0.19%, to finish at 3069. The weakest sectors in the broad market were transportation, technology and energy, while conglomerates, health care and basic materials were in the green. Volume totaled 3.37 billion on the New York Stock Exchange and 1.49 billion on the Nasdaq. "We move towards the ECB meeting tomorrow, with markets looking for reasons to be volatile," said Paul Donovan, global economist at UBS. "We expect the ECB to ease the refi (not the discount) rate and to give a broad outline of the bond buying program -- with the constraint that we still have the German court ruling
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV