MURRAY HILL, N.J., Sept. 5, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Bell Labs, the research arm of Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU), is to celebrate the life and legacy of the late Dennis Ritchie - co-inventor of the UNIX operating system and father of the C programming language, with a special event on Friday, September 7, at its headquarters in Murray Hill, New Jersey.
Hosted by Jeong Kim, president of Bell Labs, the event will include remembrances from leading thinkers in information, communications and computing technology, including:
Al Aho , Professor of Computer Science, Columbia University, and original member of the Bell Labs Computer Systems Lab where UNIX and the C programming language were invented. Aho co-authored the AWK programming language.Brian Kernighan , Professor of Computer Science, Princeton University. Kernighan is an original member of the Computer Systems Lab, and co-authored the C programming language book with Ritchie. Doug McIlroy , Professor of Computer Science, Dartmouth College. He led the Computer Systems team at Bell Labs, and developed UNIX pipelines and several UNIX tools. David Patterson , Professor of Computer Science, U.C. Berkeley. Paterson has taught computer architecture since joining the university, and has led the design and implementation of RISC I (Reduced Instruction Set Computer). Eric Schmidt, Executive Chairman, Google, Inc., who has helped grow the company from a Silicon Valley start-up to a global leader in technology. Schmidt co-authored the Lex analysis software program for UNIX. Also on the agenda is Steve Fortune of Bell Labs Enabling Computing Technologies research, who will present some of the most innovative research under way in the labs. Members of the Ritchie family will also be among other speakers and guests attending the event.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV