Grant of $231,000 will support communities as they refurbish and update trails across the country ASHBURN, Va. , Sept. 5 , 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The National Recreation and Park Association (NRPA) has been awarded a $231,000 grant from the Darden Foundation to support the Great American Trails program, an effort of public parks and recreation to preserve America's trails and promote the benefits that trails provide to local communities. LongHorn Steakhouse, one of Darden's restaurant brands that operates more than 390 restaurants across the country, will engage their restaurant teams in this effort locally.
Public parks and recreation play an important role in the planning, development and promotion of the use of trails as a way to support conservation and environmental sustainability efforts while better connecting communities. Through the Great American Trails grant program, NRPA will work with eight communities on trail improvement projects that will enable them to continue this effort.
Trails across the United States contribute to a more interconnected community and foster active modes of transportation such as walking and biking. By their very nature, trails also protect, sustain and restore open space making communities more livable."Our nation's trails are one of our greatest assets to improving quality of life and fostering more environmental sustainability," says Barbara Tulipane, president and CEO of NRPA. "We are thrilled to receive this grant from the Darden Foundation because the more we can do to encourage the use of trails the better our communities will be." "At LongHorn, we believe in hard work and doing things the right way, part of which means giving back to the local communities we serve," says Dave George, President of LongHorn Steakhouse. "Guests visit us to spend time with family and friends, and what better way to extend this idea beyond our restaurant than by providing support to help refurbish outdoor, public spaces for families to enjoy." NRPA and the local LongHorn Steakhouse restaurant teams will work with the Great American Trails grantees on such projects as improving trail pathways, updating signs with historical and detailed trail information, native plant landscaping, providing bench and seating areas, installing drinking fountains, among many other improvements. The Great American Trails grantees are:
- Boston Parks and Recreation Department, Boston, MA
- Murfreesboro Parks and Recreation Department, Murfreesboro, TN
- Omaha Parks Foundation, Omaha, NE
- Orange County Parks and Recreation Division, Orlando, FL
- Round Rock Parks and Recreation Department, Round Rock, TX
- Strongsville Recreation Department, Strongsville, OH
- Sugar Land Parks and Recreation Department, Sugar Land, TX
- Wichita Park and Recreation Department, Wichita, KS
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
24/7 market commentary from Jim Cramer and 20+ veteran Wall Street gurus. Get access to the latest trading ideas on stocks, options, and ETFs as well as a real-time forum to see the pros exchanging their investment ideas.
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV