Farm products company Bunge (BG) and semiconductor companies Vishay Intertechnology (VSH) and Benchmark Electronics (BHE) also made the list. And rounding out the 11 qualifiers is conglomerate Leucadia National (LUK), a name that was featured in a May column I wrote, "In Search of the Next Berkshire Hathaway."
Lest you think that you can get rich simply by going to the bank and buying thousands of rolls of pennies, I did a little experiment several years back when I realized that copper pennies were, at that time, worth 1.5 cents.
I purchased $10 worth of pennies at our local bank and, with the help of my childen, unrolled them, inspected them and separated the copper variety. Unfortunately, there were just 10 copper pennies out of 1,000, a miserable 1% hit rate. Complicating matters as copper continued to move higher, was the fact that a law was passed in late 2006, making it illegal to melt pennies (and nickels, too).
So much for get-rich-quick schemes. Value investing is not easy, but it's easier than that.At the time of publication, the author was long IM. This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV