ALISO VIEJO, Calif., Sept. 5, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Avanir Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (NASDAQ: AVNR) announced today that Advances in Therapy published results from a U.S. survey conducted by Harris Interactive, comparing Quality of Life (QOL), Quality of Relationships (QOR), health status and daily function of neurologic patients with and without symptoms of pseudobulbar affect (PBA). A link to the online article can be accessed at http://www.advancesintherapy.com/.
"The results from this survey demonstrate that PBA symptoms are associated with considerable burden incremental to that of the underlying neurological conditions, affecting quality of life and relationships, health status, and social and occupational functioning," said Randall Kaye, MD, chief medical officer at Avanir Pharmaceuticals. "This important information will help healthcare practitioners better appreciate and understand the multi-faceted impact of PBA symptoms on patients and their caregivers."
About the StudyAn online survey was administered to neurologic patients across six underlying conditions commonly associated with PBA: Alzheimer's disease and other dementias, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson's disease, stroke, and traumatic brain injury. The 1,052 respondents included 399 PBA group participants who scored 13 or greater on the Center for Neurologic Study Lability Scale and 653 matched neurologic controls. In order to measure various aspects of burden of illness in PBA group respondents and controls, a series of medically validated scales were administered, including:
- The 36-Item Short Form Health Survey (SF-36)
- QOL and QOR visual analog scales measuring impact of involuntary laughing or crying episodes
- The Work Productivity and Activity Impairment (WPAI) Questionnaire: General Health V2.0
- The Center for Epidemiologic Studies Depression Scale 10-item short form (CES-D10)
- The Screen for Caregiver Burden (SCB)
The PBA group reported significantly worse scores versus non-PBA controls on the SF-36 health survey (P < 0.05 for all physical and mental component and summary scores), QOL and QOR visual analog scales (P < 0.05 for both), and workplace productivity items (P ≤ 0.05). Most patients in the PBA group and over half in the control group had significant depressive symptoms as determined by a CES-D10 scale score of 10 or greater (87% PBA group vs. 56% controls; P < 0.05). PBA symptoms contributed a great deal or were the main cause of becoming housebound for 24% and placement in supervised living for 9% of PBA group respondents. In addition, caregiver burden prevalence and distress scores were higher among caregivers in the PBA group (13.7 and 41.5, respectively; P = 0.05) compared with the control group (10.2 and 37.6, respectively; P = 0.05).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV