The effective income tax rate for the 2012 quarter was 34.1 percent compared to a rate of 36.8 percent for the 2011 quarter. Increases in the effective tax rate associated with the expiration of various federal jobs credits for workers hired after December 31, 2011 (primarily the Work Opportunity Tax Credit) as well as the expiration of the Hire Act’s Retention Credit were more than offset by decreases totaling $14.5 million (or approximately $0.04 per diluted share) associated with the adjustment of accruals due to the favorable resolution of income tax audits.
26-Week Period Results
For the 26-week period ended August 3, 2012, total sales increased 11.7 percent over the comparable 2011 period, to $7.85 billion. Same-store sales, based on a comparison of the 26-week periods ended August 3, 2012 and August 5, 2011, increased 5.9 percent.
Operating profit increased by 14.9 percent to $772 million and, as a percentage of sales, increased 27 basis points to 9.8 percent. Excluding expenses resulting from secondary offerings of the Company’s common stock of $1.9 million in the 2012 period and litigation settlement expenses of $13.1 million in the 2011 period, operating profit increased by 13.0 percent to $773 million and as a percentage of sales increased 11 basis points to 9.9 percent.The gross profit rate, as a percentage of sales, was 31.7 percent in the 2012 26-week period compared to 31.8 percent in the comparable 2011 period. Consumables, which generally have lower markups than non-consumables, represented a greater percentage of sales in the 2012 period than in the 2011 period. Higher initial markups were offset by lower price increases and higher markdowns than in the 2011 period. Improved efficiencies resulted in lower distribution and transportation costs as a percentage of sales. The 2012 period reflects a LIFO provision of $1.1 million compared to a $14.2 million provision in the 2011 period.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV