Pacira Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (NASDAQ: PCRX) today announced the publication of results from a pooled analysis of nine clinical trials across five surgical models that compared cumulative pain scores, opioid consumption and occurrence of opioid-related adverse events (ORAEs) following administration of EXPAREL ® (bupivacaine liposome injectable suspension) or bupivacaine HCl. EXPAREL is a non-opioid local analgesic indicated for administration into the surgical site to produce postsurgical analgesia.
Notably, the results of the pooled analysis demonstrated that EXPAREL in a multimodal setting was associated with a statistically significant:
- Reduction in cumulative pain scores through 72 hours ( P=0.039)
- Longer time to first opioid rescue ( P<0.0001)
Decrease in opioid requirements and incidence of ORAEs
- Significant reduction in opioid use ( P<0.0001)
- Thirty-six percent of bupivacaine HCl patients experienced at least one ORAE compared to 20 percent of EXPAREL patients ( P<0.0001)
“This pooled analysis of over 900 clinical trial patients revealed not only improved pain scores with EXPAREL but also a statistical effect on several aspects of the opioid burden, compared to patients randomized to bupivacaine HCl in a multimodal setting,” said Joseph Dasta, MSc, FCCM, FCCP, RPh, Adjunct Professor at the University of Texas College of Pharmacy, and lead author on the paper. “This EXPAREL-based approach to multimodal pain management, which minimizes exposure to opioids and thus their related adverse events, has the potential to have important economic consequences.”
This analysis pools data from a total of 503 patients who received a single administration of EXPAREL at doses up to 266 mg compared with 409 patients who received bupivacaine HCl at doses up to 200 mg; surgical models included inguinal hernia repair, total knee arthroplasty, hemorrhoidectomy, bunionectomy and breast augmentation. The most frequently reported adverse events in both treatment groups were nausea, constipation and vomiting.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV