WASHINGTON and HOUSTON, Sept. 4, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- NiSource Gas Transmission & Storage's (NGT&S) Columbia Gas Transmission ( Columbia) today announced the company reached a customer settlement that provides for Columbia to modernize its natural gas pipeline infrastructure under a program that will initially span the next five years, with provisions for potential extensions thereafter.
The settlement filed today with the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) includes a base rate reduction for customers and an investment recovery agreement. Columbia has asked that the settlement be approved prior to the end of 2012.
"Heeding the President's Executive Order and efforts by the Department of Transportation, we have developed a comprehensive and long-term infrastructure investment plan that ensures safe and reliable transportation of natural gas for decades to come," said Jimmy Staton , NGT&S chief executive officer. "We've worked with our customers over the last several months to develop a mechanism for cost recovery associated with these investments. This collaboration put into place a year-by-year infrastructure investment strategy, while providing customers with predictable, affordable rates."
Columbia projects that its entire modernization program could reach approximately $4 billion over an extended period. Under the settlement, Columbia will invest $300 million per year on system improvements, which include:
- Replacing Aging Infrastructure – replacing approximately 1,000 miles of existing interstate transmission pipelines, primarily bare steel (400 miles in the first five years);
- Upgrading Natural Gas Compression Systems – replacing and modernizing more than 50 critical compressor units along the pipeline system that will enhance system efficiency and improve environmental performance;
- Increasing Pipeline System Reliability – uprating pressures and looping systems where needed to ensure gas is reliably delivered to critical markets; and
- Expanding In-Line Inspection Capabilities – facilitating Columbia's ability to perform state-of-the-art maintenance and inspections without interrupting services
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV