NEW YORK ( TheStreet) - Intel (INTC) is driving a revolution in the way consumers interact with gadgets, according to Diane Bryant, the general manager of the chip giant's data center and services group, citing the rise of tablets and ultrabooks.
The executive, who delivered the keynote at the 2012 Citi Technology Conference on Tuesday, explained how Intel is throwing its weight behind tablets and ultrabooks with touchscreen capabilities.
"We have invited the whole industry to rethink the role of the PC," she said, pointing, in particular, to ultrabooks.
Ultrabooks are the new category of super-skinny laptops championed by Intel. Bryant explained that the next wave of products will also offer touchscreen capabilities. "There's over 40 touch ultrabooks in development that you will see coming," she said. "We believe that the touch interface will become more popular than even our OEMs predict."OEMs, or Original Equipment Manufacturers, that develop Intel-based ultrabooks include HP (HPQ) and Dell (INTC). Bryant also expects the debut of Microsoft's (MSFT) Windows 8 operating system to have a major impact on the space. "We expect a dramatic increase in the move of ultrabooks,
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV