BALTIMORE ( Stockpickr) -- There's just something about the small stocks. Small stocks -- namely the ones priced under $10 per share -- tend to be more exciting than their higher-priced brethren. Their price swings are more pronounced, and they historically rally the hardest after pricier names have already puttered out.
And of course, that increased volatility goes hand-in-hand with increased upside potential.
A lot of what drives small stock performance is psychological. A share price under $10 gets a lot of people thinking "cheap" regardless of valuation; that's especially true among newer investors, who put a lot of weight on share price when making investment decisions. The truth is that even more risk-averse investors can find attractive trading opportunities in low-priced stocks, it's just a matter of identifying the high-probability setups.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV