NEW YORK, Sept. 4, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Sandell Asset Management Corp. ("Sandell"), the beneficial owner of approximately 1.1 million shares, or 7.0%, of TPC Group ("TPCG") (NASDAQ: TPCG), is issuing a White Paper to TPCG's shareholders relating to TPCG's recent agreement to sell itself to private equity firms First Reserve & SK Capital ("PE Buyers"). Sandell has been a long term shareholder of the Company, leading its restructuring and exit from bankruptcy in 2004.
A full copy of the White Paper can be found here: http://www.sandellmgmt.com/news/Immediate_Maximization_of_Value_at_TPCG.pdf
The following are highlights of Sandell's opinions as set forth in more detail in its White Paper presentation:
- Current agreement is a sweetheart transaction for the PE Buyers and Management allowing them to steal the Company on the cheap from shareholders without a full and proper auction.
- Several strategic and financial parties were shut out of the process and/or subjected to unreasonable demands and unreasonable timelines.
- Management has been intentionally bearish to ensure the completion of a deal at a low price, thereby benefiting themselves the most through a go-private transaction.
- To the detriment of current shareholders, Management did not:
- Negotiate a go-shop period to solicit competing offers;
- Hold a conference call with its shareholders as is customary;
- File voting agreements with the SEC detailing the nature of the lockups; or
- Disclose compensation agreements which, Sandell believes, would show the significant upside that Management has negotiated for themselves.
- Lastly, there is ample evidence that the deal price is not the maximum price that shareholders deserve given the stability of TPCG's underlying business, the upcoming growth catalysts and its solid balance sheet.
Sandell intends to vote against the deal, encourages its fellow shareholders to do the same, and seeks to have the Company run a proper auction to maximize shareholder values.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV