The admission came via a Form 8-K filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission after Facebook shares plumbed a new all-time low of $17.55 during Tuesday's regular session and closed down 1.8% at $17.73.
Elsewhere in the filing though, Facebook said it plans to temporarily waive certain restrictions on some employee stock sales for a short period after its third-quarter report in October. The company said it estimates 234 million shares "held by employees who are employed by Facebook through October 15, 2012, will be eligible for sale in the public market as of market open on October 29, 2012."
The stock was bouncing 2% to $18.08 on after-hours volume of 1.14 million, according to Nasdaq.com.
Also moving in the extended session was Finisar, which was ticking lower after coming up short on its fiscal first-quarter earnings. The company reported a non-GAAP profit of $10.9 million, or 12 cents a share, on revenue of $220.5 million for the three months ended in July, missing the average estimate of analysts polled by Thomson Reuters for earnings of 14 cents a share on revenue of $226.3 million.Finisar cited "sluggish macroeconomic conditions" in Europe as well as slowing growth in China for the weak performance but said it expects revenue growth to resume in the current quarter. For its fiscal second quarter ending in October, the company forecast non-GAAP earnings of 12 to 16 cents a share on revenue ranging from $225 million to $240 million. The current consensus view is for a profit of 19 cents a share on revenue of $236.2 million. The stock dipped 2 cents to $13.50 on volume of around 350,000 in late trades. --Written by Michael Baron in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Michael Baron.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV