Integrated energy firm PPL (PPL) is benefiting from rising analyst sentiment this week as well. The $17 billion name owns 11,200 megawatts of power generation capacity, and regulated utility businesses here at home as well as in the UK.
Income investors take note: PPL currently pays out a hefty 4.9% yield.>>5 Big Dividend Payers With Rising Share Prices PPL has been focusing on a risk-off approach to the energy business in the last few years. For starters, it's been acquiring new regulated utility names, dropping its merchant generation business from the biggest earner to a much smaller piece of the corporate puzzle. Ultimately, that's a good move for PPL -- merchant generation is a riskier business that's more beholden to commodity price swings than its regulated arm. And dividend-seekers should find solace in the fact that PPL is focusing on highly-predictable regulated revenues. That's not to say that generation will disappear from PPL's income statement. With an attractive portfolio of generation assets (that are skewed towards attractive, low-cost fuels), generation should be a nice "extra" business that won't derail its ability to pay a dividend if the unexpected happens. While an aggressive CapEx plan has meant that PPL's debt has been increasing, the firm should be able to service its debt while at least maintaining its dividend payout right now.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV