This column originally appeared on Real Money Pro at 7:53 a.m. EDT on Sept. 4.NEW YORK ( Real Money) -- As I look toward the balance of the year, uncertainty seems to be the operative word. Second-quarter reported EPS mostly met expectations, while top-line growth began to disappoint. Forward guidance, however, was conservative. I expect more pressure on corporate profits in the quarters ahead, as sales continue to slip relative to consensus amid the challenges mentioned in today's opening missive. U.S. real GDP expanded at about a 1.8% rate in this year's first half. Domestic economic growth in July seemed to reaccelerate somewhat, but, with rising gasoline (now at an all-time Labor Day high) and food prices, a weakening in refinancing activity, and political uncertainty and fears of a fiscal cliff, aggregate growth appeared to moderate in August. The current indication is for similar real GDP growth in third quarter 2012, reflecting weakening capital spending orders (lower in six of the last seven months) to be offset by some improvement in real incomes (up 3% year over year) and a steadily improving residential real estate market. Away from the U.S., two important growth drivers, Europe and China, are likely to prove a drag on (consensus) growth.
Kass: Fair Market Value Update
Sep 04, 2012 | 12:00 PM EDT
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Portfolio Manager Jim Cramer and Director of Research Jack Mohr reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
David Peltier identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV