For the full year, sales increased 2 percent to $2.193 billion. A breakdown of the change in sales follows:
- Volume and mix subtracted 1 percent
- Price and sales allowances added 5 percent
- Increased promotional spending subtracted 3 percent
- Currency added 1 percent
Operating earnings decreased 11 percent to $315 million compared with $355 million in the year-ago period. The decline was primarily due to cost inflation, increased promotional spending and higher advertising, partly offset by higher selling prices and productivity improvements.
International Simple Meals and Beverages
Sales for International Simple Meals and Beverages were $294 million for the fourth quarter, a decrease of 7 percent. Organic sales increased 1 percent. The change in sales reflected the following factors:
- Volume and mix added 2 percent
- Price and sales allowances added 3 percent
- Increased promotional spending subtracted 4 percent
- Currency subtracted 8 percent
- In Canada, sales decreased primarily due to the negative impact of currency and lower beverage sales.
- In Europe, excluding the negative impact of currency, sales growth in France was offset by lower sales in Germany.
- In the Asia Pacific region, excluding the negative impact of currency, sales growth in Japan and Malaysia was offset by declines in Australian soup.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV