U.S. Simple Meals operating earnings were $104 million compared with $101 million in the prior-year period, an increase of 3 percent. The increase in operating earnings reflected earnings gains in U.S. Soup, partly offset by a decline in U.S. Sauces. For the segment, higher sales volume was partially offset by a decline in gross margin percentage and increased advertising expenses.
For the full year, sales for U.S. Simple Meals decreased 1 percent to $2.726 billion. A breakdown of the change in sales follows:
- Volume and mix subtracted 4 percent
- Price and sales allowances added 3 percent
U.S. Soup sales declined 2 percent reflecting a 7-percent decrease in ready-to-serve soups, partly offset by a 1-percent increase in condensed soups and a 3-percent increase in broth sales. Sales of U.S. Sauces increased slightly as gains in “Prego” pasta sauces were mostly offset by lower sales of “Pace” Mexican sauces and declines in other simple meal products.
U.S. Simple Meals operating earnings were $658 million compared with $657 million in the prior year, reflecting earnings gains in U.S. Soup that were mostly offset by lower earnings in U.S. Sauces. For the segment, higher selling prices, productivity improvements and lower promotional spending were mostly offset by volume declines and cost inflation.Global Baking and Snacking Sales for Global Baking and Snacking were $556 million for the fourth quarter, a decrease of 1 percent from a year ago. Organic sales increased 2 percent. A breakdown of the change in sales follows:
- Volume and mix added 3 percent
- Price and sales allowances added 4 percent
- Increased promotional spending subtracted 5 percent
- Currency subtracted 3 percent
Sales of “Pepperidge Farm” products increased, driven by higher
selling prices across the portfolio and volume gains, partially offset
by increased promotional spending.
- In cookies and crackers, sales benefited from double-digit growth in “Goldfish” snack crackers, partly offset by declines in cookies.
- Bakery sales increased slightly, while sales of frozen products declined.
- Excluding the unfavorable impact of currency, sales in Arnott’s were comparable to the prior year, as strong growth in Indonesia was offset by declines in Australia.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV