DUBLIN, Ireland, September 4, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
Shire plc (LSE: SHP, NASDAQ: SHPG) announces that Dr. Steven Gillis, Ph.D. will join the Board of Directors on October 1, 2012. On joining the Board, Dr. Gillis will become a member of the Company's Science & Technology Committee and Remuneration Committee.
Dr. Gillis is currently a Managing Director at ARCH Venture Partners, a provider of venture capital for technology firms, where he is focused on the evaluation of new life science technologies and the development and growth of ARCH's biotechnology portfolio companies. Prior to this, Dr. Gillis was a founder and director of Corixa Corporation, acquired by GlaxoSmithKline in 2005. Prior to starting Corixa, Dr. Gillis was a founder and director of Immunex Corporation.
An immunologist by training, Dr. Gillis has authored more than 300 peer-reviewed publications in the areas of molecular and tumor immunology. He is credited as being a pioneer in the field of cytokines and cytokine receptors, directing the development of multiple marketed products including Leukine, (GM-CSF), Prokine (IL-2) and Enbrel (soluble TNF receptor-Fc fusion protein) as well as the regulatory approval of Bexxar (radiolabeled anti-CD20) and the novel vaccine adjuvant, MPL.He received his B.A. from Williams College in 1975 and his Ph.D. from Dartmouth College in 1978. Dr. Gillis is a Non-Executive Director of Genesis Research and Development Corporation Limited., a New Zealand and Australian Stock Exchange-listed biotechnology company. He was a Non- Executive Director and then Executive Chairman and Acting President of Trubion Pharmaceuticals Inc., until its sale in 2010. Shire Chairman, Matt Emmens, comments: "Steven's pioneering and entrepreneurial approach paired with a deep technical and scientific knowledge will complement the existing skills and outlook of the Shire Board. I look forward to him joining in the autumn."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV