NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- U.S. stock futures were rising Friday after the European Central Bank announced a bond-buying plan and ahead of a report on U.S. jobs.
European shares were higher while Asian stocks posted strong gains. Japan's Nikkei 225 index jumped 2.2% to close at 8,871.65.
The economic calendar in the U.S. on Friday includes the August jobs report. Economists are calling for nonfarm payrolls to have swelled by 130,000 last month, according to Briefing.com.
U.S. stocks on Thursday soared as Wall Street cheered the ECB's Central Bank's bond-buying plan and a batch of positive employment data raised the stakes for the August jobs report. The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose more than 244 points, or 1.87%, to close at 13,292.
Earnings reports are scheduled Friday from Comverse Technology (CMVT), Kroger Co. (KR), and lululemon Athletica (LULU).
Smith & Wesson (SWHC), the gun maker, posted fiscal first-quarter net income from continuing operations of $18.9 million, or 28 cents a share, on revenue of $136 million, topping the estimates of Wall Street analysts. The company also lifted its outlook for the fiscal year ending in April 2013, forecasting earnings of 85 cents to 90 cents a share on revenue ranging from $530 million to $540 million.
Dell's (DELL) board approved the PC maker's first-ever quarterly payout of 8 cents a share, payable on Oct. 22 to shareholders of record on Oct. 1.
Amazon (AMZN) on Thursday launched a host of new Kindle Fire and Kindle products. Amazon's new Kindle Fire HD family is an attempt to take market share from Apple' (AAPL) iPad.
Apple is in talks to license music for a custom-radio service similar to the one operated by Pandora Media (P), according to people familiar with the matter, The Wall Street Journal reported. -- Written by Joseph Woelfel
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joseph Woelfel >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV