By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
optionMONSTER's tracking systems detected unusual activity early in the session, with the September 33 calls bought for 35 cents and 40 cents. More than 6,500 changed hands against previous open interest of 3,404 contracts.
Calls lock in the price investors must pay to buy shares, so they could generate some nice leverage if the chip maker keeps rallying in the near term. But if it doesn't, they will expire worthless.Skyworks gapped higher Friday morning and closed higher by 3.61% to $30.46 -- just below the highs. The September 33 calls later fetched as much as 55 cents, which shows how quickly they can move. The semiconductor company has been pushing higher as investors prepare for Apple to launch iPhone 5, which uses its products. Overall option volume in SWKS was six times greater than average in the session, with calls outnumbering puts by almost 10 to 1. Russell has no positions in SWKS or OVTI.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV