Spain Sees $125 Billion as Enough for Banks
MADRID (AP) â¿¿ Spain's ailing banks won't likely need to tap all the â¿¬100 billion ($125.7 billion) that's been made available by the country's euro partners, Economy Minister Luis de Guindos said Monday.
In a further indication that Spain's economic problems are not as acute as some in the markets have been fearing, De Guindos also insisted that no additional austerity measures will be needed to meet the Spanish government's deficit-reduction target. Spain is battling to avoid the same bailout fate as Greece, Ireland, Portugal and Cyprus.
However, De Guindos said Spain's most troubled bank, Bankia, will get urgent aid, while two indebted Spanish regions appealed for emergency funding to deal with a crippling liquidity crunch.Spain's banks have an estimated â¿¬184 billion in problematic real estate loans and investments following the collapse of the country's property market in 2008. The other 16 eurozone countries have set aside the rescue package to help troubled Spanish lenders. "In principle, it looks like not all of (the â¿¬100 billion) will be used," De Guindos told Onda Cero radio. De Guindos said austerity policies being enacted by the government will be enough for Spain to meet its target of reducing the budget deficit to 6.3 percent of national income this year from 9 percent last. The government has already unveiled a â¿¬65 billion package of tax hikes and spending cuts. "Spain has already set out a path which is sufficient for the problems we face," De Guindos said. He said he didn't expect other eurozone countries to demand more economic reforms in Spain. Spain agreed late Monday to make an emergency injection of â¿¬4.5 billion ($5.7 billion) into Bankia SA, buying new shares in the lender nationalized in May. Bankia has become the poster child for the country's hurting banks, saddled by billions in soured real estate assets.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV