NEW YORK (Stockpickr) -- There are two kinds of value investors. Some focus on the income statement and search for stocks that trade at a low valuation in relation to earnings, while others seek out value on the balance sheet via companies that have a market value lower than the book value (or shareholder's equity).
On occasion, though, you'll come across companies that appeal to both crowds. In the S&P 500, there are 36 companies that trade for less than book value and also trade for less than 10 times projected 2013 profits.
That should set the stage for a solid-multi-year backdrop. As these companies continue to pound out profits in coming quarters and years, the cash on their balance sheet is likely to swell higher. Or they may choose to pay off debt. Either way, book value is likely rise yet higher, creating a further valuation gap on a price-to-book basis.Of all of the companies in the S&P 500, these five stand out, offering deep value on both counts.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV