C.H. Robinson Worldwide
Likewise, business is booming for C.H. Robinson Worldwide (CHRW). The firm is a $9 billion third-party logistics provider, offering firms truck brokerage, air and ocean freight forwarding, and a number of supporting services. With the rising price of crude oil pushing transportation costs ever higher, CHRW's services are in-demand right now, and they should continue to be popular as the complexities of shipping increase.
At its simplest, C.H. Robinson is in the business of pairing off shippers with carriers as efficiently as possible. Because CHRW has the scale to handle the needs of both parties quickly and cheaply, it's one of those services that both parties are willing to support. The danger with that middle-man position, of course, is that if it becomes too profitable, one of the sides is likely to step in and take the profits for themselves.>>5 Stocks Set to Slingshot Higher But in CHRW's case, scale has big advantages, namely buying power that carriers and shippers don't have without exposing themselves to massive risks. That factor should keep the firm's business protected from rivals. With an asset-light business model, most of CHRW's costs go into commission compensation for its sales team. That's a good thing because it means that those expenses tend to ebb and flow with sales volumes and keep margins relatively flat. And predictable margins are a must-have for dividend investors. Right now, CHRW pays out a 33-cent quarterly dividend, a 2.33% yield at current price levels. With plenty of cash getting thrown off from operations right now, I'd expect to see a dividend hike in the next quarter. To see these dividend plays in action, check out the at Dividend Stocks for the Week portfolio on Stockpickr. And if you haven't already done so, join Stockpickr today to create your own dividend portfolio. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV