Brown & Brown
Insurance broker Brown & Brown (BRO) may get lumped with the rest of the insurance industry, but the firm couldn't be more different. At its core, Brown is a sales business, focused on selling insurance policies that are underwritten by other firms that take the balance sheet risks.
While this business generates less income than a traditional insurance model, investors shouldn't eschew BRO or its 8.5-cent quarterly dividend payout. With strong growth this year, the firm looks like a prime candidate for a hike to its 1.3% yield.>>12 Dividend Growth Stocks to Buy Now Brown & Brown is an insurance agency that focuses on small and middle-market customers, groups that most appreciate BRO's service-oriented approach to insurance. While larger client firms with more external expertise may be willing to take a more hands-off (and cheaper) brokerage alternative, small and medium sized clients want more guidance. That leads to sticky customer relationships for Brown, and it's helped to make the firm one of the most profitable insurance brokers in the country. Brown has been a big proponent of a growth-by-acquisition strategy. While that strategy failed to boost the firm's top line in the last few years, numbers are increasing again this year. That should help to calm any investors who were worried about the trajectory of Brown & Brown's income statement. With a healthy balance sheet in tow, BRO is positioned to pass a bigger chunk of cash onto investors in the form of dividends.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV