EQT (EQT) is an $8 billion natural gas firm that's involved in every stage of the natgas lifecycle from producing from its reserves of 5.4 trillion cubic feet in the Appalachian Basin all the way to its regulated utility business in three Mid-Atlantic and Southern states.
Soros Fund Management picked up 1.5 million shares of EQT in the second quarter, building an $81 million position in the stock.>>5 Stocks With Big Insider Buying Like most peers, EQT has seen its share prices hampered by the slow decline in natural gas prices that's been taking place for the last few years. The math is simple: the lower natural gas prices go, the less of a spread EQT can collect between the cost of pulling natgas out of the ground and the price the firm can sell it for. While nat gas prices aren't likely to skim the bottom indefinitely (particularly as substitutes, like crude oil, test new highs), the last few years have proven to gas bulls that price increases are going to take time. Until commodity prices for EQT's product start rising again, the firm is going to have trouble stimulating its share price -- particularly when there are plenty of alternative midstream natgas plays that pay out much bigger dividends. EQT has an attractive balance sheet and a huge source of low-cost reserves, but unless you're a natural gas super bull, I'd recommend looking for alternatives.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV