CHARLOTTE, N.C., Aug. 31, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- With an expected 35,000 visitors to descend on Charlotte next week for the 2012 Democratic National Convention (DNC), Verizon Wireless network engineers have finalized wireless enhancements to effectively manage the increased traffic and ensure an excellent experience for visitors, local residents and businesses.
Since Verizon Wireless experienced a 16-fold network increase during the 2008 DNC, 4G LTE-enabled smartphones and tablets have emerged, offering real-time social media and video updates at an unprecedented pace and volume. Verizon Wireless expects record-setting traffic on its 4G LTE network as political representatives, journalists, bloggers and thousands more "wireless power users" upload and download a torrent of videos, photos, posts, tweets, texts, live broadcasts and more.
"Our team knows mobile technology will be the preferred method for voters to keep abreast of the campaign messages, latest news and election results," said Jerry Fountain, Verizon Wireless president for the Carolinas and Tennessee. "We are taking this responsibility very seriously. Verizon is eager to see our 4G LTE network play a major role in delivering the important campaign messages to keep Americans connected and informed."
Verizon Wireless' network preparations include:
- Distributed antenna systems (DAS) have been installed in all major meeting spaces that will be utilized for the convention including the Bank of America stadium, Time Warner Cable Arena, Convention Center, NASCAR Hall of Fame and the Charlotte Douglass International Airport. A DAS is a series of smaller antennas strategically placed throughout a venue and networked together to form infrastructure that increases capacity and coverage throughout the venue. These are hybrid systems that run voice, EVDO data (3G) and LTE data (4G) and are permanent systems that will remain in place even after the DNC leaves town.
- Mobile cell towers, referred to as CoWs and CoLTS (Cells on Wheels and Cells on Light trucks) are strategically situated throughout the downtown Charlotte area to assist with offloading wireless traffic and increasing capacity in key areas where there is anticipated heavy traffic. CoW and CoLT units have the ability to process thousands of calls and data transmissions at the same time to enhance Verizon Wireless' 3G and 4G LTE coverage in Charlotte during the anticipated spikes in traffic.
- Network technicians optimized current permanent network in Charlotte by repositioning antennas, increasing permanent capacity and ensuring all permanent towers run at optimum capacity.
- Working in conjunction with the DNC committee, Verizon identified over 75 hotels in the Charlotte area that will host DNC delegates and guests. System Performance Engineers equipped with special test equipment walked the hallways of the majority of these hotels to test in-building penetration (signal strength inside rooms). As a result of the System Performance Engineers tests, the network team deployed distributed antenna systems using network repeaters to enhance coverage to numerous hotels.
- Verizon Wireless has made preparations for emergency services during the DNC as well. A special command center operating throughout the DNC will house additional equipment, technicians and engineers, who will communicate directly with the city of Charlotte and DNC officials in the case of severe weather or emergency.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV