Topping the new buys list last quarter was Phillips 66 (PSX), the independent refiner and petrochemical firm that began trading on the NYSE earlier this year after splitting off from ConocoPhillips (COP). The split turned PSX into the downstream arm of COP, focusing on the part of the process that happens after the oil and gas come out of the ground.
Berkshire piled up on shares of PSX last quarter, picking up 27.16 million shares for a 4.2% stake in the firm that's worth nearly $1 billion right now.>>10 Century-Old Blue-Chips Still Earning Their Keep Clearly, Buffett likes Phillips 66. That may come as a surprise though. Downstream energy businesses typically come with lower margins than successful E&P businesses do, meaning that PSX is the low-return side of the operation. But don't think that Phillips 66 is merely a refiner and gas station chain. Phillips also owns a lucrative chemicals business and more than 62,000 miles of pipelines. If the firm decides to, it could easily push the nat gas unit into a tax-advantaged structure (think MLP) for investors' benefit. Ultimately, there's more to PSX than meets the eye. That fact that it was split off from a profitable supermajor doesn't hurt either. The firm is well-capitalized and boasts a portfolio of refinery properties that have big structural advantages over competitors. With shares within a buck of new highs, investors had better look sooner rather than later.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV