Ackman fuels General Growth with Simon Property M&A carrot
A similar dynamic to SiriusXM is playing out in Bill Ackman's balance sheet and real estate recovery bet on General Growth, and a newly launched proposal for shareholders to push for the company's sale to Simon Property. The goal is to sell the mall operator to Simon Property, netting shareholders a premium to what 40%-plus shareholder Brookfield Asset Management would pay for a majority stake.
In August, Ackman said in a letter to General Growth's board that the company should cement its impressive emergence from bankruptcy by selling itself to Simon Property Group, in a deal that could be worth in excess of $26 billion. Ackman owns more than 10% of General Growth's shares, making his fund the company's second-largest shareholder.
A potential deal comes amid a real estate sector M&A drama that's been thickening since General Growth's 2009 bankruptcy and its 2010 re-emergence; however, General Growth shares are far below the $28 share price that Ackman calculates might be reached in a merger.Simon Property's prospective acquisition of General Growth would thwart a takeover by real estate giant Brookfield Asset Management (BAM) -- General Growth's top shareholder -- which Ackman argues would come without a control premium, in the letter filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission. The drama marks what could be a turning point in General Growth's emergence from bankruptcy and an impressive 50% stock surge in the past year, on optimism about a widespread real estate recovery. In the
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV