In 2007, DuPont became concerned about Kolon's activities and notified the FBI, the Department of Justice and the Department of Commerce. DuPont filed a civil lawsuit against Kolon in 2009 and the jury in the case awarded DuPont $919 million in September 2011. In November, the trial judge ruled that Kolon's conduct warranted punitive damages at the maximum amount allowable by law. Coupled with the September jury verdict, overall damages against Kolon now total over $920 million, accruing post-judgment interest.
Groundbreaking research by DuPont scientists in the field of liquid crystalline polymer solutions in 1965 formed the basis for the commercial preparation of Kevlar® aramid fiber, best known for its military and law enforcement applications. In addition, Kevlar® is used for many commercial and industrial applications, ranging from tires and fiber optic cables to sports equipment and spacesuits.
DuPont (NYSE: DD) has been bringing world-class science and engineering to the global marketplace in the form of innovative products, materials, and services since 1802. The company believes that by collaborating with customers, governments, NGOs, and thought leaders we can help find solutions to such global challenges as providing enough healthy food for people everywhere, decreasing dependence on fossil fuels, and protecting life and the environment. For additional information about DuPont and its commitment to inclusive innovation, please visit www.dupont.com.
The DuPont Oval Logo, DuPont™, The miracles of science™ and Kevlar® are registered trademarks or trademarks of DuPont or its affiliates.SOURCE DuPont
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV