The big data specialist brought in revenue of $44.5 million, a 71% hike from the same period last year and comfortably above the average analysts' forecast of $39.8 million. Excluding items, Splunk registered a loss of a penny a share, better than the consensus estimate for a loss of 4 cents a share.
Splunk, which went public earlier this year, also offered robust guidance, projecting third-quarter revenue between $45 million and $47 million. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters are currently looking for revenue of $44.66 million.
The San Francisco-based company also hiked its full-year revenue guidance to between $183 million and $186 million, compared to a prior range of $174 million to $177 million. Splunk now expects its non-GAAP operating margin to be between negative 2% and negative 3% compared to its prior estimate of negative 4% to negative 5%.Splunk shares climbed 14.72% to $34.99 before market open on Friday. OmniVision (OVTI) was another big gainer, rising 10.87%, to $17.64 after the digital imaging specialist reported strong first-quarter results and gave robust guidance. The Santa Clara, Calif.-based firm, a key Apple (AAPL) partner, expects non-GAAP earnings of 21 cents to 37 cents a share for its fiscal second quarter on revenue of $355 million to $390 million. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters are looking for earnings of 32 cents a share on revenue of $288.42 million. Shares of Apple, which is reportedly in talks to settle its patent dispute with Google (GOOG), rose 0.59% to $667.8. Google's shares were up 0.9% at $687.82. --Written by James Rogers in New York. Follow @jamesjrogers >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Check out our new tech blog, Tech Trends. Follow TheStreet Tech on your wireless devices
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV