By Pete Najarian, co-founder of OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- The Market Vectors Coal ETF (KOL) has been driven from 52-week highs, and Thursday traders were playing for a bounce.
The options paper focused on the October 23 calls and the October 26 calls. The 23s were bought for $1.05 and the 26s were sold for 20 cents. There was barely any previous positioning in either strike before the trade appeared.
Owning calls locks in the price investors must pay to buy the shares, and selling calls fixes their maximum exit. They paid 85 cents, and could potentially collect the $3 difference between the two strike prices. That's profit of 253% if the fund pushes back to $26.The fund closed at $22.40 Thursday, down 2.18%. It's declined from over $42 a year ago, and has really been beaten down in a big way. Holdings include well-known producers like Consol Energy, Peabody Energy and equipment maker Joy Global. Almost 3,300 contracts traded in the fund, versus fewer than 200 in a normal session. Calls outnumbered puts by more than 200 to 1, so the sentiment was clearly bullish. Najarian has no position in KOL.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV