DALLAS, Aug. 30, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Continuing its commitment to maintaining the strongest, deepest newsroom of any media outlet in North Texas, The Dallas Morning News has named longtime local journalist Mitch Schnurman as Business columnist. Beginning this Sunday, September 2, Schnurman will write several columns per week and blog regularly on The News' BizBeat blog.
Schnurman brings deep regional experience to the position. He has been writing about business in North Texas since 1986, and has been a columnist since 2001. Prior to joining The News, he wrote for the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, DCEO and Dallas Times Herald .
"Mitch has substance as well as a compelling point of view," said Business editor Dennis Fulton. "He's not afraid to take unpopular stands on issues if that is where the facts take him. His column will enhance our already strong Business section."
As a reporter, he covered many of the region's top business stories, including Ross Perot's exit from General Motors and the failure of Texas' banking industry. As a columnist, he championed the lifting of the Wright Amendment, challenged Texas' small-government claims, and often weighed in on tax breaks for private developers. Seven times, he has been named one of the country's "Best in Business" columnists by the Society of American Business Editors and Writers.This key hire is another example of The News' ongoing strategy to bolster its newsroom with top talent. Other recent hires include: Robert Wilonsky, arguably North Texas' most astute blogger, as assistant digital managing editor for dallasnews.com; David Duitch, an award-winning television news director, as editor of dallasnews.com; Miles Moffeit, as investigative reporter; and Marc Ramirez, as enterprise and feature writer. The News is also currently seeking an architecture critic in a joint appointment with the University of Texas at Arlington.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV