Turning to the cost and profit metrics. During the year a variety of items contributed to the decline in operating profit despite an approximate 4 million increase in revenue. All other things equal, we estimate for illustrative purposes the revenue increase would be expected to contribute an incremental operating income of approximately 1 million. Instead operating income excluding the prior-year impairment charge related to expose declined by approximately $500,000.
So, what drove the GAAP of approximately $1.5 million in operating income? First there were targeted investments in the P&L related to the global strategy, notably our expansion into Asia. This totaled approximately $450,000. Next we implemented a significant system upgrade for the first time in ten years. The P&L expenses associated with this upgrade was approximately $300,000 including depreciation related to the equipment purchases.
In 2012, we were required to conduct a SOC’s audit at a cost of approximately $50,000. You may recall we purchased for a significant amount of money last year a coin under our warranty claim and that coin was sold for less than we forecast resulting in a P&L charge of $200,000.
Despite that charge, our warranty reserves sits at a five-year high and we are comfortable with its current balance. Next and lastly, the previously mentioned impact on the P&L from the recording of the vouchers related to our collectors club memberships was approximately $300,000 for the year. This is virtually all profit that currently sits on the balance sheet as differed revenue and for which we have collected the cash.Collectively these 5 items totaling approximately $1.3 million were the primary drivers to the GAAP that I referred to. Looking ahead we don’t expect approximately 1 million of these cost to recur in fiscal 2012 and 2013. Read the rest of this transcript for free on seekingalpha.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV